Sunday 8 May 2016

Unsettled feelings

I wonder sometimes about the spurs to write, the motivation to write. One of my theories is this...I think that the urge to write, to display something of oneself, is connected with a feeling of just being slightly on the outside. A "fish out of water" feeling is something we all share, I'm sure and it can be uncomfortable. But, my thinking is that the uncomfortable feeling is linked with writing. Whether this is because of the need to create a world (a book or story) or a model (an article) which gives back a sense of belonging (or, more likely, control), I'm not sure.

But, I think, if you do want to write, this is a feeling that you have to accommodate rather than fight. Standing slightly on the outside of a place or a group is not always a bad place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment